DRAMATIC PARALLELISM between BERNIE SANDERS and JOHN XUNA!
~ I have been an early supporter of Bernie (starting
back in October 2014). I was one of those who sent Bernie as much as I could to
his campaign (that was as soon as he announced his presidential run). I
like Senator Sanders a lot! Because, if you visit my "legacy" website at
www.Xuna.net (from GE 2002, Issues) you will notice our parallelism in
~~ I was committed in 2002 (and still committed
now in 2016) to …
~~ Sanders has a similar populist platform, yet “this 73-year-old US Senator from Vermont came out of the left field, literally, and -for the Clinton team sorrow- he has gone from a NUISANCE to MENACE". :O)
~ It is extraordinary! Sanders is Jewish (a first for a Presidential Candidate), an Independent (another first), and a senior “older than Reagan” (Ronald was 1 month shy of 70 when he first became President in 1981). Yet, all those “hurdles” do not seem to affect Bernie’s chances.
~ Similarly, 14 years ago (GE 2002, CD 22, FL), I had my own predicaments and drags. I was a Foreign Born with a noticeable accent (quite uncommon in the US Congress), a Scientist (and as such, a "distrusted" Non-Believer; you could also say that is a first) and a Neophyte (with neither political friends, nor did I have a supporting structure back then).
~ Sanders has pledged to raise the MINIMUM WAGE to $15 per hour, make COLLEGE TUITION-FREE, and guarantee workers FAMILY LEAVE, VACATION TIME, and PAID SICK LEAVE. Sanders told supporters in Madison: “This grotesque level of [income] inequality is immoral. It is bad economics. It is unsustainable, and it is not what the United States of America is supposed to be about.”
BEST WISHES BERNIE!!
John Xuna (currently, the only Scientist candidate to the US Congress)
· Those 11 Scientists are: 5 ENGINEERS and 6 SCIENTISTS (• 3 PHYSICISTS • 1 CHEMIST • 1 MICROBIOLOGIST • 1 PHYSIOLOGIST).
• What about the EDUCATION of those Congressmen?
The Congressional Research Service notes that the vast majority of Members (95 percent) had an academic degree: BUT
WHY AMERICA DOES NOT ELECT MORE SCIENTISTS TO OFFICES? Especially, BIOLOGISTS and PHYSICISTS.
The short answer is:
THE LARGE MAJORITY OF SCIENTISTS ARE ATHEISTS!
That is, they are members of “THE MOST DISTRUSTED MINORITY”! :O(
· In 2014, 97% of the National Academy of Science (NAS) was Non-believer. The other 3% who are believers sport some kind of spiritual philosophy (“Deists”, you could say). Yet, is not the “personal” God to whom Muslims or Christians pray.
· In 1998 (16 years ago) a Gallup-International study indicated that -at NAS- “believers” were just 5.5% of their Biologists and 7.5% of Physicist and Astronomers. In other words, non-believers were 93% (72% Atheist, 21% Agnostic), and “believers” 7%
· The so-called “believers” are those doing research with grants provided by faith-based organizations, and –therefore- not free to express their real credos. A few could also be “coerced” not to divulge ideologies due to family reasons. I say this because: Science does not go hand-in-hand with Religion. Science uses knowledge, evidence and scientific-methodology for reasoning; Religion –simply- uses faith and beliefs (from a scientist standpoint, those are delusional beliefs based in “fairy tales”)
· Studies by the Pew Research Center have found that –different to Europe- in America Non-believers are seen as the most distrusted minority. It is especially true in rural America. Atheists are more distrusted than other minorities, such as LGBTs, or even Muslims. Therefore, no Atheist has been yet elected to Congress, and consequently very few Scientists –as mentioned before- hold chair in the US Congress. It is probably even worse at the State level, but I will skip that topic now.
How happens that we have Science-related Committees filled with Congressman who do not know an iota of Science?
· Quickly comes to my mind Jim Inhofe. He is a Republican who is SCIENTIFICALLY ILLITERATE. James Mountain Inhofe (80 years old) is the senior United States senator from Oklahoma. Elected to the Senate in 1994, he is the ranking member of the Senate Committee on the Environment and Public Works. He was the Chairman from 2003 to 2007. Then the chair passed to Barbara Boxer. Since January 2015, Inhofe is again he Chairperson. He received a Bachelor in Arts from Tulsa University. THAT’S IT!! Well, at least he has a university degree, other Congressmen do not. But definitely, he is not qualified for that critical Chair.
Modified on: Monday August 15, 2016
Counter reset on 1/21/2016 when near 19,000 due to "theme" modification that forced Front Page extensions to be rewritten.